Tasks of the Area Water Board
The overall goal of the Left Bank Area Water Board is to improve the water management at canal level. That means a reliable and equitable water distribution and cost effective maintenance. To realize this goal, we will involve farmers in our Board and committees and will closely cooperate with farmers in the Farmers’ Organizations.
The most important tasks of the Left Bank Area Water Board are:-
Operation and maintenance of the Fulleli, Akram Wah and Guni main canals and their branch canals:
– Receiving the water from the Kotri barrage operated by the SIDA
– Distribution of the water through the canals to the Farmers’ Organizations
Reforms and Organization 2 Business Plan Left Bank Area Water Board 2004-2005
– Operation and maintenance of the outfall drains and main drains
– Maintenance of the flood protection infrastructure along the canals
– Promotion of the functioning of Farmers’ Organizations in the AWBs command area
The cell was established on the directives of Honorable Minister Irrigation & Power Department Government of Sindh and supported by the Provincial Project Steering committee supported and world Bank mission in order for the development of GIS data warehouse and application for SIDA/IPD
- Procurement of hardware, software & Satellite images for the GICS
- To Develop GIS for the Irrigation, Drainage & Flood Management infrastructure of Sindh province specifically and in general Pakistan
- Maintain and update GIS data set warehouse and share with local and international agencies
- Establish linkages of IPD/SIDA with other department on the development of GIS
- Provide Technical support/assistance to IPD/SIDA
- Monitoring and provide support to various activities of WSIP including development, social, research and capacity building
- Development of GIS applications to monitor the water quantum from Barrages to Canal, Regulation of Canals, River Course patterns, water theft control, water measurement and etc
- Work with the various consultants of WSIP including PIC in order to get maximum benefits of the project.
- GICS building acquired and repaired in order to start GIS activities of WSIP / SIDA.
- Procurement of necessary equipments including Plotter, Printer, Desktop machines and DSL.
- Procurement of staff from market and Detailment.
- Available GIS Data Sets acquired
- Available Data of SIDA digitized in CAD environment and Maps created accordingly as well as preliminary GIS layers developed.
- GIS models of main canals under development.
- Developed Various Thematic Maps of Irrigation & Drainage Infrastructure.
Presently, Following first three Area Water Boards are operational:
Area Water Board
Cultivable Command Area*
|Nara Canal Area Water Board||880,000 hectare||Ghulam Mustafa Ujjan||Mirpur Khas|
|Left Bank Canal Area Water Board||620,000 hectare||Habib Ahmed Ursani||Badin|
|Ghotki Feeder Canal Area Water Board||300,000 hectare||
|Western Canal Area Water Board||430,000 hectare||
|Begari Feeder Canal Area Water Board||230,000 hectare||